The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an examination that primarily tests the comprehensive understanding of various undergraduate subjects in engineering and science. GATE is conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science and seven Indian Institutes of Technology (Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee) on behalf of the National Coordination Board – GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD), Government of India.
Every year the GATE exam is conducted in the month of January and February. The Exam is designed to test in-depth knowledge in basic concepts and their application for all the subjects in the engineering segment.
1. A Candidate holding a Bachelor's degree in Engineering/Technology/ Architecture (4 years after 10+2).
2. A Candidate holding a Bachelor's degree in Engineering/Technology/Architecture (Post-B.Sc./Post-Diploma).
3. Candidates can also appear for this exam in the final year of their graduation
4. Master's degree holders in any branch of Science/Mathematics/ Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent
5. Candidates in the second or higher year of the Four-year Integrated Master's degree program (Post-B.Sc.) in Engineering/Technology.
6. Candidates in the fourth or higher year of Five-year Integrated Master's degree program or Dual Degree program in Engineering/Technology.
1. The GATE exam is of three hours duration that includes 65 Questions of 100 Marks
2. You can choose subject of your interest and prepare according to the syllabus provided in the GATE brochure
3. The subjects of interest include Electronics and Communication Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, Electrical Engineering & Instrumentation Engineering.
4. Apart from the subjects listed above, you can also opt for other subjects such a Mathematics, physics.etc.
5. Scores and grades of qualified candidates in GATE will provide them All India Rank as well as a percentile score. For example, a candidate who scores 99 would feature in the top 1% category of the candidates who appeared for GATE.
6.Any Candidate who scores below 70 % does not get the no score card.
7. The validity of GATE scores is for 2 years. After two years you may re-appear the GATE exam and can consider the scores of new exam for the purpose of admissions if you score better than the old one.